As the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) pushes through with its industrial action, the Minister of Labour, Employment, and Productivity, Simon Lalong, has convened a meeting with labour leaders to avert a possible shutdown of the nation’s economy.
News agency recalls that the NLC and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) on Monday directed its members to commence mobilisation for a nationwide strike over the assault on NLC president Joe Ajaero.
The organised labour directed its affiliates to implement the resolutions of the National Executive Council.
Addressing journalists on Monday, November 13, President of TUC, Festus Osifo, said the strike would remain until “government at all levels wake up to their responsibility.”
However, Punch Newspaper reported on Tuesday morning that the union leaders are expected to be at a meeting with the Bola Tinubu-led government later on Tuesday (today).
Sources told the newspaper, “The minister has convened a meeting with the Labour leaders for Tuesday.”
Following an extraordinary National Executive Council meeting last Tuesday in Abuja, the leadership of the NLC and TUC declared a complete nationwide strike.
After the announcement, the national organised labour unions mobilised their members and supporters.
The decision was reached by NLC and TUC after the brutalisation of NLC National President, Joe Ajaero, last weekin Imo State.
There had been widespread outrage by the Organised Labour accusing the former Commissioner of Police in Imo State, Mohammed Barde, of complicity in the recent attack on Ajaero, in Owerri, the Imo State capital.
Uzodinma Regrets Assault On NLC President, Ajaero Days After Re-election
We Are Not Part Of Nationwide Strike – CONUA
Nationwide Strike: Lawmakers Locked Out As NLC Shutdown National Assembly (Photos)